If you have leftover holiday ham, then these Ham & Cheese Rolls with Honey Butter are a delicious and easy recipe to make using leftovers! They are a soft, pillowy, and buttery savory roll that can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or a snack!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
These little rolls are made with a soft and sweet dough, similar to a crescent roll. This dough is very easy to make, you can do it entirely in your stand mixer and it comes together easily! They only require one rise, which makes them faster as well. After I roll out the dough, then I fill them with an herb butter that has garlic powder, thyme, and parsley. Then I filled them with Swiss cheese and ham, and roll them up. I brush them with a mix of melted butter and honey for a little sweetness and browning factor in the oven. And, last I top them with scallions when they come out!
These little savory rolls are perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or even just a quick snack. Delaney has been adding green salsa on top of them, which he absolutely loves. You could even eat with ketchup or barbecue sauce and they would be delicious as well. Or, you could even add a pad of butter on top! No matter how you eat them, trust me, you'll want to make a double batch of these ham and cheese rolls!
Ingredients for Honey Butter Ham & Cheese Rolls
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why go organic?
You may be wondering why I push organic ingredients for everything, even savory and healthy dishes. Organic ingredients go beyond just health and wellness, and contribute so much to the taste and flavor of a recipe. So, if you think that you're making something healthy and buying fruits, veggies, or meats so maybe you don't need to spend the extra to go organic here – let me sway your thinking.
Organic ingredients are made in a more pure way, therefore using no additives, no GMOs, and minimal ingredients. This really allows the true ingredients to shine – and because of that their flavor shines through. Therefore, organic ingredients are more flavorful than their non organic counterparts. So, just because it's already a healthy recipe, or you're already buying good for you ingredients – it doesn't mean you can skip organic! Trust me here, and make the switch. Your body and your taste buds will thank you!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Ham & Cheese Rolls with Honey ButterDifficulty: Intermediate
A light and fluffy brioche dough is filled with ham, cheese, spices, and brushed with a honey butter. These savory rolls are an amazing side dish or snack!
10 grams (1 tablespoon) organic active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon organic cane sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup (57 grams) organic salted butter
1 cup organic milk
1 teaspoon organic raw honey
446 grams (3 1/2 cups) organic all purpose flour
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 cup (57 grams) organic salted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon organic garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon organic dried thyme
pinch of organic dried parsley
12 ounces organic ham
6 ounces organic Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons organic salted butter
2 teaspoons organic raw honey
2 organic scallions
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the yeast, 1/2 teaspoon cane sugar, and warm water. Stir together and let it sit until it becomes, about 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, add the butter, milk and honey. Put over medium heat, and melt. Remove when completely melted.
- Add the flour, 57 grams cane sugar, and sea salt to the mixing bowl in that order. Add in the milk mixture and knead on low for 5 minutes, until smooth.
- Transfer the the dough to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 to 3 hours, until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, add the 1/4 cup butter, garlic powder, thyme, and parsley. Stir together.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a rectangle that is about 12 x 16 inches. Using a spatula spread the butter all over the rolled out dough. Add the ham and cheese on top of the butter.
- Starting at the larger side, fold the dough over and start to roll the dough until it is completely rolled into a log. Trim off each of the ends, then cut the dough log into 12 rolls. Place in muffin tin.
- To make the topping: In a small bowl, add the 2 tablespoons of butter and honey. Melt in the microwave for 10 to 20 seconds. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the rolls with the honey butter mixture.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Top with sliced scallions for serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- High Altitude — Bake at 350°F for 20 to 23 minutes, or until golden brown.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Dill Cream Cheese Spread recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too!