A take on the classic strawberry crumb bars but make them chocolate! Buttery chocolate shortbread with strawberry jam, chocolate crumb topping, and a sweet glaze makes for a delicious treat!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Twist on a Classic: This recipe for Chocolate Strawberry Crumb Bars is a twist on a classic! Instead of traditional vanilla shortbread, I’m making it chocolate! If you love these classic bars, you will love this chocolate twist.
Buttery & Sweet: Crumb bars are buttery and sweet because they are made up of shortbread (one of my favorite kinds of cookies!). They are butter, sweet, and have a perfect crispy element to them that pairs so nicely with the strawberry jam.
Chocolate & Strawberry: Strawberry and chocolate are a classic combination! These Chocolate Strawberry Crumb Bars allow you to enjoy this classic flavor profile in snackable bar!
Ingredients for Chocolate Strawberry Crumb Bars
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Organic Strawberry Jam
Parchment Paper (get my favorite nontoxic parchment paper and get 10% off with MIMIBAKES)
How to Make Chocolate Strawberry Crumb Bars (video below)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
To make the crust and topping: In a medium bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, cane sugar, and light brown sugar, and mix together. Add in the melted butter and stir to combine completely.
Reserve ½ cup for the topping and set aside. Using your hands, or a measuring cup, press the crust into the bottom of the pan evenly.
Bake for 15 minutes.
To make the filling: In a small bowl, add the strawberry jam and cornstarch and stir together until combined.
When the crust is done baking, remove from the oven. Add the strawberry filling on top. And sprinkle the remaining crumb topping on top.
Return to the oven and bake for another 27 to 30 minutes, or until the topping looks dry. Allow to cool in the pan completely.
To make the glaze: In a small bowl, add the powdered sugar and water and whisk until you have a smooth glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the top of the bars. Cut into 9 bars.
Tips for Chocolate Strawberry Crumb Bars
• I use melted butter in this recipe, which makes it super easy! You can melt the butter any way you like, whether you prefer stovetop or microwave.
• I use Dutch cocoa powder in this recipe as it’s sweeter and it’s my preferred cocoa for baking. If you only have natural cocoa powder, that will work, they may not be as sweet. But, if you prefer that, then natural cocoa powder is fine to use.
• This recipe for Chocolate Strawberry Crumb Bars uses strawberry jam. But if you want to switch it up, you totally can! You can use raspberry, blackberry, or blueberry – these would all be delicious with chocolate!
• The cornstarch is used to help thicken the jam so it won't leak out when the bars are cut. So, that's why it's a crucial part of this recipe.
• This is a great recipe to bake ahead of time as they will stay good just out on the counter for a few days. So, if you need to bake dessert ahead of a party, this recipe is an awesome option!
Can I use another kind of jam?
Yes! You can use raspberry, blueberry, or any other flavor you think would be delicious with chocolate!
Can I make this recipe at high altitude?
Yes! All of my recipes have a simple high altitude adjustment in the Notes at the bottom of the recipe. So, if you are baking above 5,000 feet the be sure to check that note.
How should I store crumb bars?
Crumb bars are made up of a shortbread crust and crumble topping. Both of which need to be kept in a cool dry place to retain the buttery, crisp texture. So these are best stored out on the counter. Don't put these in a tupperware or cake dome as it could make them soggy or mushy.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
You May Also Like
Chocolate Strawberry Crumb Bars
Crust & Topping
- 255 grams strawberry jam
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 142 grams powdered sugar (sifted)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- To make the crust and topping: In a medium bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, cane sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract, and mix together. Add in the melted butter and stir to combine completely.
- Reserve ½ cup for the topping and set aside. Using your hands, or a measuring cup, press the crust into the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, add the strawberry jam and cornstarch and stir together until combined.
- When the crust is done baking, remove from the oven. Add the strawberry filling on top. And sprinkle the remaining crumb topping on top.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 27 to 30 minutes, or until the topping looks dry. Allow to cool in the pan completely.
- To make the glaze: In a small bowl, add the powdered sugar and water and whisk until you have a smooth glaze.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the bars.
- Cut into 9 bars.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 3 days.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Strawberry Whipped Cream Cake recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!