Soft, chewy, and fudgy, these Vegan Toasted Coconut Brownies are so good, you'll wan to eat them even if you are not vegan!
If you love making homemade brownies as much as I do, then check out some of my other favorite recipes like my Salted Caramel Brownies, Vegan Thin Mint Brownies, or my Sourdough Chocolate Chip Brownies.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
I have been making this Vegan Toasted Coconut Brownie recipe for many, many years now. It was one that I made frequently at my bake shop, and it's still a favorite of mine. It's no surprise because these brownies are chocolate and coconut – which is my all time favorite combo. I also add almonds into this recipe so it's like an Almond Joy brownie, which is so good!
If you have made my Vegan Toasted Coconut Raspberry Brownies, then you will love this recipe for Vegan Toasted Coconut Brownies. I love making vegan desserts, especially brownies, as they are so moist and chewy. This is a super easy brownie recipe to make, and one that is so good you can serve it to any of your friends and I bet they won't even know they are vegan!
Tips for Vegan Toasted Coconut Brownies
• Make sure your coconut oil is melted. You can do that before in the microwave or even over the stovetop in a small pot, whichever you prefer. If you don't have coconut oil, you can also use canola oil instead, it will not affect the recipe. I prefer to coconut oil though as the coconut flavor compliments these brownies so well!
• You want the dark chocolate to be chopped pretty small, as this will help when the boiling water is added over the top to melt it completely. So, if it's chopped small, it will melt more evenly and quicker.
• Once the boiling water gets added in, you should work fast. The moment it's added it will start to cool, which can make the batter stiffer, the longer it sits. So, to make it as easy as possible work quickly after this step so it's easy to spread the brownies into the pan.
• I use coconut milk in these brownies, but if you are not vegan and you want to use regular milk you can also do that as well.
• I prefer to use organic wide flake unsweetened coconut in these brownies. You can use organic fine shredded unsweetened coconut for these if you do not want to use wide flake coconut. I usually top these with fine shredded and put the wide flake inside, but I also like adding the wide flake on top as I really like the texture. You can use whatever you prefer, or a combination of both, as they are easily be interchangeable!
• Same goes for almonds, I use organic slivered almonds here. But, you can also use sliced almonds or you can use whole almonds and chop them yourself. All will work just the same!
Ingredients for Vegan Toasted Coconut Brownies
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Vegan Toasted Coconut BrowniesDifficulty: Easy
This recipe for Vegan Toasted Coconut Brownies is so good you won't even know it's vegan! Soft, chewy and rich chocolatey brownies with toasted coconut and almonds – they just happen to be vegan.
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic coconut oil, melted
284 grams (1 1/4 cups) organic cane sugar
57 grams (2/3 cup) organic Dutch cocoa powder
57 grams (scant 1/2 cup) chopped dark chocolate
1/2 teaspoon organic ground vanilla bean
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup organic coconut milk
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
43 grams (3/4 cup) organic wide flake unsweetened coconut
43 grams (heaping 1/4 cup) organic slivered almonds
43 grams (3/4 cup) organic wide flake unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- To make the batter: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the coconut oil, cane sugar, cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and vanilla bean. Pour the boiling water over the top, and mix on low until combined and the chocolate has melted completely.
- Add the coconut milk, flour, baking powder, and sea salt in that order. Mix on low to combine just until you don't see flour bits. Add the coconut and almonds and mix on low until combined, do not over mix.
- Transfer to the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Add the remaining coconut on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Cut into 12 brownies (3 x 4) and store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Just substitute the organic flour for 255 grams (1 2/3 cups) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 17 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Vegan Toasted Coconut Raspberry Brownies recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!