This delicious take on classic apple pie is so good, you'll never want to go back to the original! I use Orange Blossom Honey as part of the sweetener, along with orange zest, and cinnamon. This pie is also brushed with honey to give it sweeter finish, dark golden brown crust, and makes this apple pie naturally eggless!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This is going to be your new favorite apple pie! Trust me on this one. This Orange Blossom Honey Apple Pie is a lighter take on classic apple pie. Whenever I go down south to Ocean Palms Beach Resort, I hit the Carlsbad Farmer's Market every week. And, there's a honey guy there who sells an Orange Blossom Honey. I've been getting it for a while now and it's so amazing that I've been baking with it too!
This Orange Blossom Honey Apple Pie has such an amazing and light flavor. It is so different from the classic traditional apple pie. And, it will definitely stand out at any Thanksgiving dessert table! People will be asking for this Orange Blossom Honey Apple Pie every year now!
I use fresh organic orange zest inside the pie along with orange blossom honey. I also forfeit the traditional egg wash on top, and instead, I make an orange blossom honey and water mixture that browns this pie even more than traditional egg wash. Plus, it makes this Orange Blossom Honey Apple Pie egg free, when apple pie usually isn't eggless.
Tips for Baking Orange Blossom Honey Apple Pie
• If you are new to making pie, then you should check out my All Butter Pie Crust post for more information and a very detailed way to make pie dough that will help you get the best flakey crust! I have really easy tips and ticks in this post that you can use while you hone your pie baking skills, and become faster at making pie dough and rolling it out.
• I use an organic orange blossom honey in this recipe. You can find it here. It's also on my Amazon shop, if you shop through my organic ingredients section! Orange blossom honey just means that the bees that made that honey, collected nectar and pollen solely from one type of flower – orange blossoms. It gives it a truly sweet and lightly citrus flavor that is amazing! And it is even known to have more health benefits than traditional honey.
• You do not have to make the lattice top with this pie. You can make a traditional pie top instead by just skipping the step of cutting the stripes of pie dough, and instead place the smaller pie dough on top, fold and crimp your edges from there. If you go this route, just be sure to make vent holes in the top of the pie!
• You can make this pie the day before Thanksgiving if it helps you save time. If you do this, just be sure to leave the pie out on the counter uncovered. If you cover it, then you risk the crust becoming soggy or soft.
• If you need to warm up this pie before serving, heat it in a 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes. You just want to make sure it's warm in the middle. I test that by sticking a buffer knife into the hole of the lattice just to be sure it's warm.
Ingredients for Orange Blossom Honey Apple Pie
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Organic Apples (Fuji, Gala, or Pink Lady)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Orange Blossom Honey Apple PieDifficulty: Intermediate
Orange blossom honey and orange zest accompany apples in this light and zesty apple pie. It's topped with a honey glaze that provides an amazing golden brown crust, so this apple pie is naturally egg free.
226 grams (1 2/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons) organic all purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1 teaspoon organic cane sugar
3/4 cup (170 grams) organic salted butter, cold
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons cold water
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic cane sugar
21 grams (3 tablespoons) organic all purpose flour
15 grams (2 teaspoons) organic orange blossom honey
1 teaspoon organic cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon organic cinnamon
pinch of fine sea salt
Zest of 1 organic orange
3 organic large apples (Fuji, Gala, or Pink Lady)
1 tablespoon organic orange blossom honey
1 tablespoon water
- To make the crust: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour and cane sugar. Turn the mixer on low for two to three rotations to combine the dry ingredients.
- Remove the butter from the fridge and chop into small cubes. The smaller the cubes, the flakier the crust. Cut the stick of butter into four and then chop into small cubes from there. Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture. Measure out the cold water and have it ready.
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly start to incorporate the ingredients. Gradually turn the mixer to medium speed. Once the butter mixture looks like wet sand, immediately add in all the water. As soon as the dough comes together, stop the mixer. Do not over mix.
- Divide the dough into two portions, one should be almost double the size of the other. I prefer to weigh them, the large one should weigh 312 grams and the small should weigh 170 grams. Form them both into disks and wrap separately in plastic wrap. Allow to cool in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To make the filling: In a medium bowl, add the cane sugar, flour, honey, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and orange zest and mix together. Slice the apples into thin slices, leaving their skins on. Add the apples to the sugar mixture and toss to coat them completely. Set aside.
- To make the topping: Add the honey and water to a small dish. Microwave it for 10 seconds or so to melt the honey so you can completely stir it together. Set aside.
- Grease a 9-inch pie pan well with butter. Remove the pie dough from the fridge. Remove the plastic wrap and place on a floured surface. First, roll out the large disk to 1/4-inch thick, it should be about 11-inches in diameter. Place the pie dough into the pie pan, and press lightly to form against the pan. It should be large enough that the dough folds right over the top. Roll out the smaller disk to 1/4-inch thick, it should be about 9-inches in diameter. Set aside.
- Add the filling into the pie pan and spread evenly.
- I like to use a pizza cutter for this next step, but a sharp knife will work as well. Cut the rolled out dough into 1-inch wide strips. Place the strips on top of the apples going horizontal leaving 1-inch between strips. Use the smaller strips towards the sides of the pie and use the longer strips for the middle. Next, add the remaining dough strips going vertical, alternating each strip over and under the horizontal ones.
- Once the lattice top is complete, crimp and fold over the edges of the dough to seal the top and bottom together. Flute the edges. Using a pastry brush, brush the dough with the water and honey topping.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 1 hour, or until golden brown
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out the post The Best Homemade Apple Pie Recipes, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!