Silky, smooth, and thick coconut custard makes up this traditional Coconut Sweet Cream Pie. it's topped with Homemade Whipped Cream for the ultimate cream pie!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Today I am sharing an oldie but goodie! I created this recipe for Coconut Sweet Cream Pie when I started my bake shop. And, they still serve it there today! So, if you've been a customer then you know what I'm talking about. And if not, this summer pie recipe is one you'll want make before summer is over.
I make a traditional custard, using only the egg yolks, and flavor it with coconut extract. My favorite brand of organic coconut extract to use is Flavorganics. Not all coconut extracts are created equal, so make sure you find one that you like the flavor of. That is key to a good Coconut Sweet Cream Pie!
You also want to make sure you're using organic unsweetened wide flake coconut. You can find this from Food to Live (which is one of my favorite brands). But using unsweetened coconut will provide the best taste and texture for this classic Coconut Sweet Cream Pie. Now, go and make this pie before summer is over!
Ingredients for Coconut Sweet Cream Pie
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Coconut Sweet Cream PieDifficulty: Intermediate
Traditional Coconut Sweet Cream Pie made the old fashioned way. I only use egg yolks in this coconut custard for a rich and creamy custard that is topped with fresh made whipped cream. This is the only Coconut Sweet Cream Pie recipe you'll ever need.
1 1/2 sleeves (204 grams) organic honey graham crackers, crushed
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
71 grams (1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic cane sugar
1 cup organic milk
3 organic large egg yolks
226 grams (1 cup) organic cane sugar
57 grams (1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons) organic all purpose flour
4 tablespoons (57 grams) organic salted butter
1 teaspoon organic coconut extract
43 grams (3/4 cup) organic unsweetened wide flake coconut
2 cups organic heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To make the crust: In a food processor, add the graham crackers, butter, and cane sugar. Pulse, and then mix until you have a uniform mixture and there are no chunks of graham cracker or butter.
- Grease a 9-inch pie pan with butter. Transfer the graham cracker mixture to the pie pan, and lightly press it to the sides first. Use the remaining crust, and press it down into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the egg yolks and cane sugar. Whisk on low for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightened in color. Add in the flour and whisk to combine completely.
- Heat the milk to 140°F. Once the milk has heated, turn the mixer on low and slowly add in the warm milk into the egg mixture. Once completely combined, stop the mixer.
- In a clean saucepan (do not use the one the milk was heated in, incase milk stuck to the bottom, that will burn if used without cleaning), pour in the egg mixture. Put over low/medium heat.
- Continue to heat while continuously stirring with a high heat spatula by scraping the bottoms and the sides. The mixture will start to rise and may bubble, continue to stir. The mixture will start to thicken, and continue to stir. The trick is to keep stirring so clumps do not form, as you want a smooth custard. If you see clumps beginning to form, stir vigorously and they will dissolve.
- Continue to stir until the custard coats the spatula and does not drip off when you lift it from the pot. The whole process should take around 20 minutes. Remove the pot from heat.
- Add in the butter and coconut extract, and stir to combine completely. Place in the fridge for 24 hours (no need to cover it).
- To assemble the pie: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the heavy whipping cream, cane sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low and gradually increase the speed as the whipped cream starts to thicken, until you are full speed. Whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Reserve 1/2 of the whipped cream (8 ounces or about 1 cup). Add in about half (4 ounces) of the remaining whipped cream and fold to combine, then add in the other half (4 ounces) of the remaining whipped cream and the wide flake coconut, and fold to combine completely.
- Transfer the coconut cream mixture mixture to the pie crust, and spread evenly. Top with the remaining 8 ounces of whipped cream. Sprinkle a few extra coconut flakes on top (optional).
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- High Altitude — Follow the recipe as noted.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Banana Cream Pie recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!