This Eggless Coconut Sheet Cake is a classic coconut cake without eggs. Lightly sweetened coconut cake is topped with fluffy coconut buttercream frosting and sprinkled with fine shredded coconut.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Today is World Coconut Day! What does that mean? I have no fucking clue, haha. I don't know who decided or came up with all these national food holidays – but I do know, it's just an excuse to eat that food or celebrate it in some way. Which is fine by me. Especially when it's coconut – which is by far one of my favorite ingredients and flavor profiles!
So, why is there no easy coconut sheet cake recipe on my blog yet if it's my favorite flavor? I have no idea! And today that is changing with this Eggless Coconut Sheet Cake recipe. You guys have been all over the eggless recipes lately. So, I got another one for you – one that you won't even miss the eggs in, I promise.
This easy Eggless Coconut Sheet Cake recipe is perfect for birthdays or any celebration where cake is required! Before summer ends, make this amazing and simple easy Eggless Coconut Sheet Cake recipe. It would be perfect for the upcoming Labor Day weekend if you are going to a barbecue or hosting a party. I love sheet cakes for backyard parties, as they are easy to serve a crowd.
Ingredients for Eggless Coconut Sheet Cake
Tips for Baking Eggless Coconut Sheet Cake
• First, make sure your coconut oil is melted. You can do this in the microwave or even over the stovetop, whatever you prefer.
• Make sure your coconut milk, heavy whipping cream, and applesauce are all at room temperature. This is very important. Why? Because coconut oil can solidify, and if you add these cold dairy ingredients into the melted coconut oil, it will solidify and then you can't mix properly to create a smooth cake batter. When you don't have a smooth cake batter, then you will have pockets of coconut oil inside the cake. What does this do? This makes those portions of the cake all fat, and it also makes the rest of the cake dry, as the fat wasn't evenly distributed. So that is why this is super important!
• My favorite coconut milk is the Real Coco. I use this for baking all the time, I find it has the best flavor and best consistency. You can find it here. It's also delicious for drinking or making hot chocolate with! So you won't be bummed to have it in your fridge at all times.
• Use a coconut extract that you like. I cannot stress this enough – with flavors and extracts, some are terrible and some are amazing. You have to find which ones you like the best! My favorite organic coconut extract can be found here.
• Always use unsweetened coconut! The sweetened stuff is terrible, and doesn't provide a true coconut flavor. You can find organic unsweetened coconut here.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Eggless Coconut Sheet CakeDifficulty: Easy
Fluffy, light, and sweet eggless cake is topped with coconut buttercream frosting and fine shredded coconut for a summer inspired cake.
680 grams (scant 5 cups) organic cake flour
454 grams (2 cups) organic cane sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
226 grams (1 cup) organic applesauce, room temperature
226 grams (1 cup) organic coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup organic heavy whipping cream, room temperature
1/2 cup organic coconut milk, room temperature
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
454 grams (3 cups plus 3 tablespoons) organic powdered sugar, sifted
2 to 3 teaspoons organic coconut milk
2 teaspoons organic coconut extract
Organic unsweetened fine shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer or bowl with a whisk), add the cake flour, cane sugar, baking powder, and fine sea salt and mix on low for 2 to 3 rotations to combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the applesauce, coconut oil, heavy whipping cream, and coconut milk and mix on low until combined into a smooth batter. Transfer to the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, coconut milk, and coconut extract. Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy.
- Transfer the frosting to the cake and spread evenly over the top. Sprinkle the top with fine shredded coconut, you can do the whole top or just a boarder, whatever you prefer.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Gluten Free — Replace the cake flour with scant 226 grams (1 1/2 cups) organic gluten free flour blend and 170 grams (1 3/4 cups) organic coconut flour.
- High Altitude — Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!