Indulge in these decadent Chocolate Peanut Butter Sweet Rolls that combine the two most iconic flavors in perfect harmony. Soft, pillowy rolls are lovingly filled with a creamy blend of peanut butter and Dutch cocoa for a sweet morning treat.
If you love making homemade sweet rolls as much as I do, be sure to check out some of my other favorites like my Homemade Cinnamon Rolls, Healthy Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Icing, or my Concord Grape Sweet Rolls.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
With Christmas fast approaching, I feel like brunch recipes are in high demand! There is absolutely nothing better than sitting around during the holidays and enjoying brunch with your family and friends. To me, that is a perfect holiday picture right there.
Sweet rolls are probably one of my favorite indulgent brunch recipes to make and also to eat. My sweet roll dough (that I use for so many recipes!) is only a one rise dough, unlike most sweet roll recipes which require two rises. Therefore, my sweet rolls take less time than most and are still super fluffy and pillowy.
I am sharing my recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Sweet Rolls today. My Chocolate Sweet Rolls that are in my book The Mountain Baker are probably one of my favorite sweet roll recipes of all time. But I added peanut butter to the filling here and these ones are perfect for those of you who love chocolate and peanut butter. Get the recipe below for my Chocolate Peanut Butter Sweet Rolls.
Tips for Chocolate Peanut Butter Sweet Rolls
• Make sure that your yeast turns bubbly. If the yeast doesn't turn bubbly then it has gone bad and there is no point to go on with the recipe as the sweet rolls won't rise. And that is a crucial part of the recipe to have fluffy sweet rolls, they must rise!
• I use Dutch cocoa powder in these sweet rolls as I prefer the flavor of this cocoa as it's sweeter than natural cocoa. But, if you have natural cocoa you can also use that as well.
• Use a peanut butter that you like the flavor of. I prefer to use organic creamy peanut butter with only two ingredients: organic roasted peanuts and sea salt. My two favorite brands are Kirkland Costco Organic Peanut Butter and Smuckers Organic Creamy Peanut Butter. These two are truly the best peanut butters I have ever had, try them!
• I prefer to use a ceramic 11 x 7-inch baking dish for these. You can use a 9-inch pie pan in a pinch, but I feel they bake up better in the rectangle dish. I have a Le Creuset baking dish set that Delaney bought a long time ago, that has this size, which I used for this recipe. I couldn't find it to link, but I also have this Staub set that I love here.
• A trick to make these sweet rolls fresh early in the morning is make the entire recipe, but do not bake them. Cover the dish with plastic wrap (very important it stays airtight so the dough doesn't dry out), and place the dish in the fridge. The next morning, preheat your oven and remove the dish as the oven is preheating. Then bake! Just be sure to check for doneness, as they may need a few additional minutes depending on how much they warmed up while the oven was preheating.
Ingredients for Chocolate Peanut Butter Sweet Rolls
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Sweet RollsDifficulty: Intermediate
Light and fluffy brioche dough is filled with chocolate and peanut butter, rolled up into a sweet little bun, and topped with glaze.
1/4 cup warm water
2 teaspoons organic active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon organic cane sugar
1/4 cup (57 grams) organic salted butter
3/4 cup organic milk
446 grams (3 1/2 cups) organic all purpose flour
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 organic large egg
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic salted butter, softened
28 grams (2 tablespoons) organic peanut butter
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic cane sugar
21 grams (1/4 cup) organic Dutch cocoa powder, sifted
1 cup (142 grams) organic powdered sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons organic milk
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the warm water, yeast, and 1/2 teaspoon cane sugar. Stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes until bubbly.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and milk. Stir until completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- Add the flour, 1/4 cup cane sugar, and sea salt to the mixing bowl in that order. Add the egg and the milk mixture and knead on low for 3 to 5 minutes, until a smooth dough forms. Place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 to 3 hours, until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a baking dish, either a 9-inch circle dish or an 11 x 7-inch dish.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, combine the butter and peanut butter together. In a separate bowl, mix the cane sugar and cocoa powder together, set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a rectangle that is about 12 x 16 inches. Using a spatula, spread the butter and peanut butter mixture all over the rolled-out dough. Sprinkle the sugar and cocoa mixture on top of the butter.
- Starting at the longer side, fold the dough over and start to roll the dough until it is completely rolled into a log. Trim off the edges and cut the dough log into eight rolls.
- Place the rolls in the prepared baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- To make the glaze: In a mixing bowl, add the powdered sugar and milk and whisk until you have a smooth glaze. Pour the glaze over the top of the warm sweet rolls.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Maple Cranberry Scones recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!