Lemon and chocolate are a delicious pair. I add lemon zest into a classic chocolate chip cookie for a zesty treat you'll love this summer. Try this recipe for Lemon Zest Chocolate Chip Cookies!
If you love lemon desserts as much as I do, make sure to try some of my other favorites like my Lemon Curd Coconut Thumbprint Cookies, Rosemary Lemon Ginger Biscotti, or my Honey Lemon Blueberry Snack Cake.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
I'm taking two of my favorite things – chocolate chip cookies and lemon, and combining them into this recipe for Lemon Zest Chocolate Chip Cookies! These cookies are soft, chewy, light, and a little zesty thanks to the addition of Meyer lemon zest. I use Meyer lemons in this recipe because I have a lot of them right now, but you can also use regular lemons if that's what you have on hand.
In this easy cookie recipe I also don't use any vanilla extract, so they are the best chocolate chip cookie to make if you are simply out of vanilla extract! The lemon zest flavors them just perfectly, you don't even need vanilla! I use light brown sugar as opposed to dark brown so they have a lighter flavor that pairs well with the lemon. Try this take on classic chocolate chip cookies!
Ingredients for Lemon Zest Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Lemon Zest Chocolate Chip CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies transform with the addition of lemon zest to make a light and unique chocolate chip cookie.
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
113 grams (1/2 cup) packed organic light brown sugar
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic cane sugar
2 organic large eggs
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
198 grams (1 cup) organic semi sweet chocolate chips
Zest of 1 organic Meyer lemon
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, light brown sugar, and cane sugar. Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to medium and mix for 5 minutes or until lightened in color and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, flour, baking soda, and sea salt in that order. Mix on low until combined. Then add in the chocolate chips and lemon zest. Mix on low until combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using your hands, form the dough into 24 balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a second baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer half of the cookie dough to the second sheet and space the cookie dough balls all at least 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until set and dry. Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- Store in an airtight container for up 7 days (or you can freeze them for up 1 month!).
- Gluten Free — Replace the all purpose flour with 269 grams (1 3/4 cups) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude — Bake at 375°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until set and dry.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!