Light, buttery, and crisp, shortbreads are dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkle with copped almonds. These Chocolate Dipped Almond Shortbread Cookies are a true classic that is perfect for any occasion.
If you love shortbread cookies as much as I do, be sure to check out some of my other favorites like my Kamut Flour Shortbread Cookies, Slice & Bake Vanilla Shortbread Cookies, or my Olive Oil Shortbreads.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Shortbreads have become one of my favorite cookies to make and to eat. They are incredibly easy but also have their challenges at the same time. Because shortbread cookies have so few ingredients (which is part of what I love about them), every single ingredient matters! That's why it is important to use the best organic ingredients because there are so few, so they truly make a difference.
This shortbread cookie is a slice and bake shortbread. I love these because there are two steps, which are both very easy. Yet, when you split them up, it can make this cookie recipe seem even easier! First, you make the dough, roll it out into a log and wrap it up. The dough chills in the fridge overnight, and then the next day you can just slice the cookie dough log and bake off the cookies. Splitting up the time really makes these cookies seem effortless!
Ingredients for Chocolate Dipped Almond Shortbread Cookies
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Chocolate Dipped Almond Shortbread CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Buttery and crisp almond shortbread are dipped in dark chocolate and and coated with chopped almonds for a classic cookie.
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon organic almond extract
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
8 ounces (226 grams) organic dark chocolate, chopped
57 grams (scant 1/2 cup) organic whole almonds
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, and almond flavor. Mix on low until combined, then add the flour and mix on low until combined.
- Have a large piece of plastic wrap ready and roll the dough into a log that is about 12-inches long. Wrap it in plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the log into slices that are about ¼-inch thick and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown around the edges.
- To make the topping: Using a double boiler, add 80% of the chocolate and melt until it reaches 115°F on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat, add in the remaining 20% of chocolate and stir to combine completely. Allow the chocolate to come down to 91°F.
- Roughly chop the almonds. Dip half of each cookie into the dark chocolate and place back on the baking sheets. Sprinkle with the chopped almonds. Repeat with all the cookies.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 7 days.
- High Altitude — Bake at 350°F for 12 to 14 minutes, or until lightly golden brown around the edges.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!