This Tres Leches Cake is made with raw dairy for a moist and fluffy Tres Leches cake that everyone will love! I top this Raw Dairy Tres Leches Cake with a sprinkle of cinnamon and fresh strawberries.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
My friends at Raw Farm sent me a box of goodies and I was pulling out all of this amazing dairy I somehow thought about a Tres Leches Cake. And I thought about all those times that someone at my bake shop asked me to bake one, and I was inspired to just that! If you can't find Raw Farm then you can use traditional milk, cream, and kefir for this recipe as well, and it will come out just fine too.
This Raw Dairy Tres Leches Cake is an amazing cake make during the summer months. The combination of whipped cream frosting and fresh strawberries makes for a light and delicious cake that is perfect on a warm summer night.
What are the three types of milk in tres leches?
Traditionally, the three types of milk in tres leches cake are evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and whole milk. However, I have made this Raw Dairy Tres Leches Cake with whole milk, heavy whipping cream and kefir. These have a similar flavor to the traditional three, but it's a twist on tres leches cake.
How long do you soak tres leches cake?
Traditionally, tres leches cake is soaked for hours or overnight. However, this recipe for Raw Dairy Tres Leches Cake can be served after just 2 hours of soaking! It makes this tres leches cake much faster and easier than other recipes.
Can you store tres leches cake?
Yes, you can store tres leches cake in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container as you don't wan it to dry out. While it's best when eaten right away because of the fresh whipped cream topping, it will last for a couple days in the fridge.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Raw Dairy Tres Leches CakeDifficulty: Easy
This easy Tres Leches Cake uses raw dairy for maximum flavor. It's made in a simple 9 x 9-inch baking pan for an impressive sheet cake!
3 large organic egg whites
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
170 grams (3/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1/2 cup Raw Farm Whole Milk, room temperature
1/4 cup organic sour cream, room temperature
170 grams (1 cup plus 3 tablespoons) cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 cup Raw Farm Whole Milk
1/4 cup Raw Farm Heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 cup Raw Farm Vanilla Kefir
1 cup Raw Farm Heavy Whipping Cream
71 grams (1/2 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
organic strawberries, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- To make the batter: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk starting on low to avoid splattering. Then as the egg whites start to thicken, increase the speed until you are at full speed. Whisk until stiff peaks form. Transfer the egg whites to a separate bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (no need to wash bowl), add the butter, cane sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and there are no chunks of butter.
- Add the milk, sour cream, cake flour, baking powder, and sea salt in that order. Mix on low until combined and there are no bits of flour.
- Slowly add in the egg whites and mix to combine completely, you should not see any egg white bits. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 28 to 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- To make the topping: In a medium bowl, add the milk, heavy whipping cream, and kefir and stir to combine completely.
- Poke holes in the cake using a fork. Drizzle the topping on top of the cake, allowing it to soak into the holes.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk starting on low to avoid splattering, then gradually increase speed to high as the mixture starts to thicken. Whisk until the whipped cream frosting doesn’t fall off the whisk and is thick.
- Transfer the frosting to the top of the cake and spread evenly. Sprinkle with cinnamon and top with strawberries.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Gluten Free — Replace the cake flour with 170 grams (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude — Bake at 350 for 25 to 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Birthday Snack Cake recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!