These refreshing Mint Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are an understated holiday classic. Easy to make, and incredibly delicious. Chocolate shortbreads are filled with peppermint buttercream for a festive cookie.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Looking for a simple but festive cookie? Look no further because these Mint Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are just what you need! All I want is a simple, but most importantly delicious, cookie that makes me feel like it's the holidays. And, if you're a fan of the Mint Oreos then these are basically a homemade version!
This simple chocolate shortbread cookie is filled with peppermint buttercream. You can color them pastel green if you prefer, like Mint Oreos, or for a little more festive look. While I don't color mine, you can add in some natural green food color if the mood strikes you! These cookies go great with a glass of milk, a hot cocoa, or a cup of tea. And, they're a perfect cookie to leave out for Santa!
Ingredients for Mint Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Mint Chocolate Sandwich CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Understated and amazing – that's what I love about these Mint Chocolate Sandwich Cookies. They say Christmas without saying Christmas, plus they are so easy to bake!
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
212 grams (1 2/3 cup) organic all purpose flour
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic Dutch cocoa, sifted
6 tablespoons (85 grams) organic butter, softened
170 grams (1 cup plus 3 tablespoons) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon organic peppermint flavor (like Frontier Co-Op)
1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix on low until you no longer see powdered sugar, there may still be chunks of butter but that’s okay as it’s soft.
- Add the flour and cocoa and mix on low until combined into a smooth dough, it should feel like play dough in your hands.
- Using your hands, form the dough into 36 balls and place on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten slightly so they are about 1 3/4-inches in diameter.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until the edges look set and dry. Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- To make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the butter, powdered sugar, peppermint flavor, vanilla extract, and water. Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Transfer to a piping bag with no tip.
- Turn over every other cookie so they’re all paired and pipe a dollop of frosting onto each of the turned over cookies. Sandwich with the second cookie on top.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the organic flour with 212 grams (1 1/3 cups) organic gluten free flour blend and 28 grams (1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic coconut flour.
- High Altitude – bake at 350°F for 11 minutes or until the edges look set and dry.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!