Making your own Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk is incredibly easy and it only requires two simple ingredients. You can use this Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk in recipes!
What is sweetened condensed milk?
It's basically milk that has had the water removed, hence the “condensed” part of the name. It has also been sweetened with sugar, hence “sweetened”. So, adding milk and sugar together and reducing it will create sweetened condensed milk. It's that easy!
Tips for Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk
• Make sure you are using whole milk. Do not sure skim or even 2% for this recipe as the fat is super important. If you don't have whole milk, you can use heavy whipping cream instead, either one will work!
• Don't leave the stove. When you are simmering the milk and sugar, it can burn easily even if it's on low. Don't leave it because you can scorch your pan and ruin it. I've done this before when I was impatient and left my milk. This does take a while, so grab a book or clean your kitchen. But make sure you are watching and stirring this the entire time.
• Store in the fridge. Be sure to store your sweetened condensed milk in the fridge. It will stay good for up to 1 week.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Homemade Sweetened Condensed MilkDifficulty: Easy
This recipe for homemade sweetened condensed milk makes about 3/4 cup. Use this homemade sweetened condensed milk recipe in other recipes that call for sweetened condensed milk.
1 cup organic milk
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic cane sugar
- In a small saucepan add the milk and cane sugar. Put over high heat and stir with a high heat spatula until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 to 4 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer until the mixture has reduced by half. Remove from heat.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Homemade Buttermilk recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!