This Dog Layer Cake and Cupcakes recipe is perfect if you are hosting a dog birthday party! I use the same batter to make a 6-inch layer cake as well as a dozen cupcakes so your dog can have all their friends over to celebrate!
Otto is my best friend, he's also my dog. Ever since I can remember, I've had a strong love for dogs, sometimes I really like dogs more than people. My first word was WOOF… just to give you an idea.
When I was one year old, my dad took me to pick out a dog. I chose a Golden Retriever and we named him Brighton. We did everything together. We played dress up by wearing beaded necklaces and high heels (yes, Brighty wore both well), we went roller blading together (even if he pulled me so fast I fell and scraped both my knees), and we ate dog biscuits together (yes I ate them too sometimes). Brighton lived a wonderful long life of fourteen years. I was fifteen when we said goodbye, and I never thought I'd have a best friend like that again – until I met Otto.
When we found Otto I was casually looking at puppies – that's a thing right? I thought I'd always get a Golden Retriever for my next dog, however we lived in a small duplex by the beach and we had no yard or room for a big dog. So, when a friend of mine had a French Bulldog and another one a Puggle, I found myself falling in love with smoosh faced dogs. When I found Otto online one day, it was only a matter of an hour before Delaney and I had gone to the ATM, taken out cash, and drove to Temecula to “just look at him”.
We had never seen a 3/4 Pug and 1/4 Basset Hound before, but that's what he is. We met both his parents and the dog breeders, and we fell in love immediately. We took him home that day with no preparations at all. We left him in Delaney's car while we ran into the pet store to buy “stuff”. We weren't even exactly sure what we were buying. When we came back to the car and found him sitting next to his own poop, all we could do was laugh. That was only a preview for all the laughter this small dog would bring us.
I always said I was going to name my first kid Otto. It is my dad's middle name, and his Dad's name. However, when we brought Otto home, he just looked so much like an Otto. We tried to think of a different name for him but we just couldn't find one. So, Otto stuck. My dad was happy because he doesn't really like the name, and didn't want me to name my kid that anyways. Now that I'm pretty sure I'm not having kids, I'm so glad I went with the name because I love it, and it just fits him perfectly.
When I looked at Otto's birth certificate from the breeders and saw April 24th, I knew it was really meant to be. April 24th was Brighty's birthday too. Now, I've been saying this since I've had Otto – that maybe he's Brighton's soul reincarnated into this adorable little Pughound and he's come back to be my best friend again. You may think that sounds crazy, but isn't there a movie that just came out about exactly that – A Dog's Purpose? Just saying… I've been a crazy dog girl my whole life and it's only gone to a whole new level since I've had Otto.
So, today is Otto's 10th birthday! And I have made him plenty of cakes in his life. When we lived in Huntington Beach I used to make a big cake and have a party at Dog Beach every year. Delaney would even design an invite for it and we'd hand them out to our friends with dogs. But since Otto is 10 today, I wanted to share this extra special cake and celebrate him. He's been my best friend for 10 years and I love spending every second of my free time with him. You can make this Dog Cake and Cupcakes by following the recipe below, it makes a 6-inch cake and a dozen cupcakes. Perfect for any dog party and your dog will love it!
Ingredients for Dog Layer Cake & Cupcakes
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why Organic for Your Dog?
You may be wondering why you should buy organic food for your dog. It's the same reasons that you should buy organic food for yourself. Your dog's health is important, just like yours. So, treating them right with organic ingredients will benefit their long term health.
And organic ingredients are much healthier for your dog to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients! And that counts for your pup too!
Dog Layer Cake & CupcakesDifficulty: Easy
This recipe makes a three-layer 6-inch cake plus 12 pupcakes! The perfect amount of cake and cupcakes for a dog birthday party.
142 grams (1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons) organic honey
340 grams (scant 1 1/4 cups) organic peanut butter
425 grams (15 ounce can) organic pumpkin
4 organic large eggs
284 (2 1/4 cups) grams organic all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Frosting & Topping
organic peanut butter
organic strawberries for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line three 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper. And prepare one cupcake pan with liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the honey, peanut butter, pumpkin and eggs. Mix on low until combined.
- Add the flour to mixing bowl and sprinkle the baking soda on top of the flour. Mix on low until combined. Weigh cake batter into each pan, about 284 grams each. Spread evenly.
- Scoop remaining batter into each cupcake liner, fill three-quarters full.
- Bake both the cupcakes and cake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled, remove it from the cake pans. If your cake domed a little, you can trim it so it’s flat (that’s what I did).
- Place the first cake layer on a cake stand and spread peanut butter evenly, top with second cake layer and repeat. Once peanut butter is spread on the top of the cake, top with a cut strawberry.
- Frost the cupcakes with peanut butter and top with a slice of strawberry.
- Now it’s time to have a sweet dog party!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days in the fridge.
- Gluten Free – Replace the organic flour for 284 grams (1 3/4 cups plus 1 1/2 tablespoons) of organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 17 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Waffle Recipe for Dogs, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!