These Dark Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies are an easy and festive cookie for the holidays! Buttery, crisp, melt in your mouth vanilla shortbreads are dipped in peppermint dark chocolate.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Over the years, I've realized I really love adding peppermint to chocolate. There's something about the minty chocolate that just tastes so good! Like my White Chocolate Peppermint Pretzels, they are just perfect for Christmas.
So, with this recipe I've made a traditional vanilla shortbread cookie and dipped them in peppermint dark chocolate and added crushed candy canes (or peppermint crunch). These simple festive cookies would make a perfect addition to any holiday cookie box!
Ingredients for Dark Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Simple, but seriously festive, this peppermint dark chocolate dipped vanilla shortbread cookie is here to spread holiday cheer.
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
10 ounces (2 cups) finely chopped organic dark chocolate
1/2 teaspoon organic peppermint flavor (like Frontier Co-Op)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until all ingredients are combined and there's no butter chunks.
- Add the flour to mixing bowl and mix on low until combined and you have a smooth dough, it should feel like play dough in your hands.
- Using your hands, form the dough into 36 balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets, spacing them about 1-inch apart as they will spread a little when baking. Flatten slightly so they are about 2-inches in diameter.
- Bake cookies for 13 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Once the cookies have cooled, in a double boiler add about 80% of the dark chocolate. Melt until it reaches 115°F on a chocolate thermometer, then remove from heat and add in the remaining dark chocolate and stir to combine. Let rest until chocolate reaches 91°F. Then add in the peppermint flavor and stir to combine completely.
- Dip half the cookies into the dark chocolate and place on parchment paper and sprinkle with peppermint crunch.
- Allow to set and cool completely, you can stick in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Store in a cool dry place or in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the organic flour with 226 grams (scant 1 1/2 cups) organic gluten free flour blend and 57 grams (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic coconut flour.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out the post 15 Easy Christmas Brunch Recipes, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!