This Coconut Chocolate Chip Granola takes my favorite Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies into cereal form! This easy homemade granola recipe is crunchy and flavorful granola that blends rolled oats, coconut flakes, and a generous scattering of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
If you love making homemade granola as much as I do, be sure to check out some of my other favorite recipes like my Maple Honey Nut Granola, Cinnamon Sugar Quinoa Granola, or my Vanilla Cranberry Granola.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
So let's talk granola. We didn't have granola in my house when I was young, we only had cereal or granola bars. But when I went away to boarding school in Vermont, our kitchen was stocked with granola all the time. I ate it frequently because it was fast and delicious. Granola is such an easy way to have homemade cereal at home! It is super simple to bake and it lasts for weeks. You can also take it with you as a snack on the go to eat all day long.
So, of course I made Coconut Chocolate Chip Granola – after one of my all time favorite cookies, the Dad's Coconut Chocolate Chip. You can find the cookie recipe inside my book, Cookies for Everyone. Or check out my favorite Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies here on the blog. This granola is more than a just a breakfast, it's also an amazing snack! My favorite way to eat it is with milk, but you could also do yogurt, or just by the handful.
Ingredients for Coconut Chocolate Chip Granola
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Coconut Chocolate Chip GranolaDifficulty: Easy
The kind of granola you wan to eat for breakfast and for dessert! This Coconut Chocolate Chip Granola will have you in snacking heaven all day long.
298 grams (3 cups) organic rolled oats
85 grams (1 1/3 cups) plus 64 grams (1 cup) organic wide flake coconut
1/2 teaspoon organic ground vanilla bean
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic cane sugar
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic coconut oil
1/2 cup water
64 grams (3 tablespoons) organic raw local honey
28 grams (1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons) organic light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
198 grams (1 cup) organic semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the oats, 85 grams of coconut, and vanilla bean and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the cane sugar, coconut oil, water, honey, and corn syrup. Cook on medium/high heat until everything is combined. Remove from heat and add the sea salt. Stir to combine completely. Pour the sugar mixture over the oat mixture and fold to combine and completely coat the oats.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and spread out as evenly as possible. Bake for 25 minutes, remove from the oven and stir to rotate granola. Bake again for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Once cool, add granola, chocolate chips, and remaining 57 grams of coconut to a large mixing bowl. Mix to combine completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- Gluten Free – Use gluten free oats.
- High Altitude – Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes, remove from oven and stir to rotate granola. Bake again for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Maple Cranberry Scones recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!