Soft, chewy, and buttery – this easy recipe for classic Chocolate Chip Cookies is one you can make anytime as it's quick and easy to make homemade cookies!
If you love baking homemade chocolate chip cookies as much as I do, here are some of my other favorite variations on a classic. Try my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies, Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies, Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies, or my Kamut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This easy recipe makes a soft and chewy classic chocolate chip cookie. You can chill the dough for just 1 hour, or you can even leave the cookie dough in the fridge and bake them off as needed. And, if you decide to hold off baking, then make sure to store extra cookie dough in an airtight container so it doesn't dry out. I love having cookie dough ready to bake at any given notice!
Chilling the cookie dough is key for this recipe, as it helps create a chewy chocolate chip cookie. And everyone loves chewy chocolate chip cookies! Why does chilling cookie dough make for a chewy cookie? One of the main benefits of chilling cookie dough is that the fat chills and so the fat is cold when it goes into the oven. Because it's chilled, it takes longer to melt in the oven, resulting in less spread with your cookies and a chewier cookie. But, if you want a more light and cakey cookie, then you can bake these immediately with no chill time either. Try it both ways, and see what you prefer! Get the recipe below for my Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Ingredients for Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Classic Chocolate Chip CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Classic soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies made with semi sweet chocolate chips.
3/4 cup (170 grams) organic salted butter, softened
170 grams (3/4 cup) organic packed light brown sugar
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
2 organic large eggs
286 grams (2 1/4 cups) organic all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
198 grams (1 cup) organic semi sweet chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, light brown sugar, cane sugar and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined, then continue to mix for 5 minutes until the butter and sugar mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, flour, baking soda and sea salt in that order. Mix on low until combined. Add in the chocolate chips and mix on low until combined.
- Using your hands, form the dough into 24 balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper. Add half the dough balls onto the second baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the bottoms (less if you like a really doughy cookie!).
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free — Replace the all purpose flour with 297 grams (1 3/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude — Bake at 375°F for 8 to 10 or until lightly golden brown on the bottoms.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!