This recipe for Christmas Sandwich Cookies are a simple sandwich cookie that has warm and comforting spices and when you bit in, it just makes you feel like Christmas! No fancy decorations, no red and green, just pure holiday cheer in every bite!
If you're looking for more Christmas cookie recipes, be sure to check out some of my other favorites like my Frosted Gingerbread Cookies, Tree Sugar Cookies, or my Simple Christmas Shortbread Cookies.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
These Christmas Sandwich Cookies embody the spirit and flavor of Christmas without being overly festive or fussy in any way! That's why I love this recipe, because it really transports you to the holidays with every single bite. No matter your skill level or if you don't have decorating supplies or even moxie (like me, haha) these cookies will be a hit at your holiday celebration!
They start with a buttery and crisp almond shortbread cookie that's finished with a little sugar. This provides an amazing texture on the cookies! I fill them with a buttercream filling with Chinese Five Spice, which is my favorite spice to use during the holidays. If you are new to Chinese Five Spice, then I urge you to try it! This spice is warm, comforting, and gives you a medley of spices with just one ingredient!
Ingredients for Christmas Sandwich Cookies
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Christmas Sandwich CookiesDifficulty: Easy
A true Christmas cookie that isn't red and green. This sandwich cookie will make you feel all warm and cozy inside.
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon organic almond extract
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic cane sugar for rolling the cookie dough
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
226 grams (Heaping 1 1/2 cups) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon organic cloves
1/8 teaspoon organic Chinese Five Spice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, almond flavor and vanilla extract. Mix on low until you don’t see powdered sugar anymore, there will still be butter chunks and that’s okay. Add the flour and mix on low until combined into a smooth dough, it should feel like play dough in your hands.
- In a small dish, add the extra sugar for rolling. Using your hands, form cookie dough into a small ball, roll in the sugar and place on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten just slightly so they are about 1 3/4-inches in diameter and look like a round disk. Space at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 13 minutes, edges will be golden brown. Allow to cool completely on cookie sheets.
- To make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, cloves and Chinese five spice. Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Transfer to a piping bag with no tip.
- Flip over every other cookie and pair them so they are all paired. Pipe filling onto all the turned over cookies and sandwich them together.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the organic flour with 226 grams (scant 1 1/2 cups) organic gluten free flour blend and 57 grams (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic coconut flour.
- High Altitude– Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes, edges will be golden brown.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out the post 15 Easy Christmas Brunch Recipes, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!