Chocolate Dipped Honey Cardamom Sandwich Cookies are a light cookie that feature two vanilla shortbreads that cradle a luscious cardamom infused honey filling. They're finished with a generous dipping in milk chocolate for a warm and comforting cookie.
If you love making sandwich cookies as much as I do, be sure to check out some of my other favorites like my Chocolate Lemon Poppy Seed Sandwich Cookies, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies, or my Homemade Vanilla Oreo Cookies.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
The warm, aromatic notes of cardamom in these cookies create a perfect harmony with the golden sweetness of the honey buttercream, resulting in a cookie that's both exotic and comforting. To elevate this cookie even further, each cookie is generously dipped in a decadent, velvety milk chocolate coating for a rich and decadent cookie!
I love making sandwich cookies because they are an indulgent cookie where one is just a perfect amount of dessert! I temper the chocolate on these sandwich cookies so they can sit out at room temperature. If you choose to skip this step, you might just want to store them in the fridge if it's warm out so the chocolate doesn't sweat.
Ingredients for Chocolate Dipped Honey Cardamom Sandwich Cookies
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Chocolate Dipped Honey Cardamom Sandwich CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Vanilla shortbread cookies are filled with a honey cardamom buttercream and dipped in milk chocolate.
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
226 grams (1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon) organic powdered sugar, sifted
14 grams (2 teaspoons) organic raw local honey
1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon organic cardamom
5 ounces (1 cup) organic finely chopped milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- To make the cookies: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and you don’t see any powdered sugar. There might still be butter clumps, but that’s okay as it’s very soft.
- Add the flour and mix on low until combined into a smooth dough, it should feel like play dough in your hands.
- Using your hands, form the dough into 36 balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten slightly so they are round disks that are 1 3/4-inches in diameter.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Allow to cool completely on cookie sheets.
- To make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, honey, and cardamom. Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Put in a piping bag with no tip.
- Flip over every other cookie and pair them so they are all paired. Pipe filling onto all the turned over cookies and sandwich them together.
- To make the topping: In a double boiler, add 80% of the milk chocolate. Melt until it reaches 115°F on a chocolate thermometer, remove from heat. Immediately add in the remaining 20% and stir vigorously to combine completely. Allow temperature to come down to 89°F.
- Dip half of each cookie into the tempered milk chocolate, place back on the cookie sheets. Place in the fridge to set for 1 hour.
- Store in a cool dry place, or in an airtight container if you live in a humid climate for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the organic flour with 226 grams (scant 1 1/2 cups) organic gluten free flour blend and 57 grams (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic coconut flour.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!