These classic Chicken Salad Sandwiches are made with the traditional add ins of celery and red onion. They're packed with protein and on sourdough bread, these make the best easy and quick lunch.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Chicken salad sandwiches may seem so old school to you – so lady's lunch, so country club, or so just boring. Well, let me be the first to tell you that chicken salad is not boring! Chicken salad is so classic and so delicious!
I make these Chicken Salad Sandwiches with canned organic chicken, as it's already shredded. I add in may, dijon mustard, celery, red onion, and relish. I serve these on sourdough bread that's lightly toasted. These easy Chicken Salad Sandwiches are a quick and healthy lunch any day of the week!
Tips for Making Chicken Salad Sandwiches
• Bread is key in this sandwich. Java Baba's used a French roll for theirs, but we just don't have any organic options for that here. And I haven't had a single moment to make something like bread in a while. But, it's a great choice as it holds in the chicken salad very well. I use organic sourdough, which tastes delicious with the chicken salad and it's a sturdy bread if you toast it. Other options that would also be delicious would be a whole wheat roll, pumperknickle, or literally a hot dog bun would work very well and also be delicious. The trick with the bread is make sure it is sturdy. Don't use flimsy slices or super spongy bread that will soak into the chicken salad and then become soggy. And toasting the bread helps it become more sturdy as well, so that part is key!
• I use organic canned chicken whenever I make chicken salad. It just makes it really easy! You can also use chicken breast as well, that would also be delicious and give it a little different texture. My favorite brand is Valley Fresh Organic Chicken. It's what I buy when I make this.
• There is nothing like classic chicken salad. But, you can also add lettuce to this sandwich as well.
• This chicken salad is also amazing for just dipping crackers in!
Chicken Salad SandwichesDifficulty: Easy
Chicken Salad Sandwiches are an easy and quick lunch to make. This recipe for Chicken Salad Sandwiches is packed with protein for a delicious lunch that fills you up!
One 10-ounce can organic chicken
2 tablespoons organic mayo
1 teaspoon organic Honey Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons organic sweet relish
2 stalks organic celery, diced
2 slices organic red onion, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
4 slices organic sourdough bread
- In a medium bowl, add the chicken, mayo, mustard, relish, celery, and red onion. Stir together to combine completely. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast the bread. Add chicken salad to toasted bread, and serve immediately.
- Gluten Free — Use gluten free bread.
- High Altitude — Follow the recipe as noted.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Air Fryer Loaded Garlic Bread recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!