With Christmas coming up, today I'm sharing an old recipe but in a new way. I am going to show you how to make DIY Caramel Sauce Jars for gifts! These super easy homemade gifts are sure to be a hit under anyones tree this year. Plus, with only 3 ingredients, this homemade caramel sauce is the better than what you can buy in a store.
How do you make DIY Caramel Sauce Gift Jars?
Let me tell you how easy it is! First, make sure you have your jar supplies. I am linking the exact items I bought here, all on Amazon.
Once you have your supplies, then you'll just need to have three simple ingredients to make my homemade true caramel sauce. What is true caramel? True caramel means that the sugar is actually dry burned to create a true caramel flavor. True caramels will usually only contain 3 main ingredients – sugar, butter, and cream. Many caramels my contain things like corn syrup, brown sugar, or water and these ingredients don't allow the sugar to actually crystalize and burn to create a caramel flavor, instead the corn syrup or brown sugar may act as a similar flavor.
You all know I use minimal organic ingredients as I believe the ingredients should truly shine in every single recipe. And this Caramel Sauce will impress all of your friends and family. You can use it to dip cookies in, drizzle over ice cream or pie, and add to hot chocolate and coffee. These easy homemade Caramel Sauce jars a truly thoughtful homemade gift that is so easy to make and really will show that you care.
I used a 7 ounce glass jar and this recipe makes 4 jars with a little extra (to keep for yourself!). You could use anywhere between a 7 to 9 ounce jar and that would be a really good gift size. I then tied them with a ribbon and added a little tag so people know what it is.
Once you have the caramel jars made, you can gift them immediately or you can even send them through the mail. Make sure to tell whoever you gift them to that they should be stored in the fridge. This caramel sauce is fine if left out for a couple weeks, but it will stay fresh even longer if stored in the fridge.
Ingredients for Caramel Sauce Jars
Organic Cane Sugar I always use organic cane sugar because it is the best sugar you can get. And the best sugar will make the best caramel, just like any ingredient! But, especially with recipes that have so few ingredients, those ingredients really matter.
Organic Salted Butter I always use salted butter, because it's just what I use for everything. If you only have unsalted butter you can add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to this recipe.
Organic Heavy Whipping Cream Heavy whipping cream is key for caramel sauce. My favorite is Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream, bu there are others that are also great like Horizon and Humbodlt Creamery.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Caramel Sauce JarsDifficulty: Intermediate
There is nothing better than a homemade gift – that's edible! And these DIY Caramel Sauce Jars are the best gift for any occasion.
454 grams (2 cups) organic cane sugar
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, room temperature
2 cups organic heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- In a medium pot, add the cane sugar and put over medium heat. Once the sugar on the bottom starts to melt, stir with a high heat spatula to keep from burning. The dry sugar will then sink to the bottom, so it can melt. Sugar clumps will form until the sugar turns into a liquid.
- Once the sugar has completely melted into a liquid, add the butter. Be careful because steam will rise up quickly. Stir rapidly until the mixture is combined.
- Once the butter is completely combined, add in the cream a little at a time. Be careful, because the cream is colder than the sugar mixture so more steam will rise up quickly. Stir rapidly to combine completely when each amount of cream is added. Once about half the cream is added you can add more at a time.
- Once completely combined, remove from heat. Strain the caramel with a strainer to remove any clumps.
- Transfer caramel to a glass jars.
- If you are using the 7 ounce jars like I did, you can cut 37-inch ribbon pieces to tie them like I did. Write Caramel Sauce on the gift tag, and tie around the top with the twine.
- Store caramel sauce in the fridge for up to 1 month or until you gift them.
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Maple Cranberry Scones recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!