Soft, buttery, and perfectly sweet. This recipe for Blackberry Lemonade Thumbprint Cookies starts with a classic butter cookie, filled with blackberry preserves, and I top it with a sweet and tart lemon glaze! This is the ultimate summer cookie!
I have had so many lemons at my house lately! A friend of mine brought me lemons from her parents tree down south, and then we were in the Bay area and one of the places we stayed had a lemon tree on the property and it was going off. So, of course Delaney and I climbed it and got all the lemons we could to bring home!
So, I have been making so many lemon desserts lately, which is fine by me as I love lemon. I recently cleaned out my pantry really well as I had a photoshoot for a client that needed pantry photos. So, it was great as it made me clean out my pantry, ha! And, I found all kinds of gems in there – including a jar of blackberry preserves that was just begging me to make thumbprint cookies with it. My Raspberry Thumbprints are probably one of my all time favorite cookies. So, when I saw the blackberry preserves I thought a Blackberry Lemonade Thumbprint Cookie recipe would be amazing, and it is!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
I am kind of obsessed with this cookie recipe, to say the least. Whenever I make thumbprints I usually hoard them all to myself, and don't give them out to friends or neighbors like I do with everything else. Sorry to my friends or neighbors who are reading this (recipe below for you)! So, that is just saying how good these cookies are.
This easy thumbprint cookie recipe starts with a classic butter cookie. I fill them with blackberry preserves and then I drizzle a two ingredient glaze that's made up of powdered sugar and lemon juice. This sweet and slightly tart glaze is the perfect compliment to the blackberry filling. That makes these thumbprint taste just like lemonade! Which is why I call them Blackberry Lemonade Thumbprint Cookies!
Ingredients for Blackberry Lemonade Thumbprint Cookies
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Organic Blackberry Preserves (or jam)
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Blackberry Lemonade Thumbprint CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Light and zesty lemon thumbprint cookies are filled with blackberry preserves and topped with a sweet glaze. These summer cookies will be on repeat in your kitchen!
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
170 grams (3/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1 organic large egg
383 grams (3 cups) organic all purpose flour
zest of 1 organic lemon
6 ounces organic blackberry preserves
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons organic fresh lemon juice
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, cane sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined, then set a timer for 5 minutes and mix until the mixture is light in color and fluffy.
- Add the egg, and mix until combined. Add the flour and lemon zest, and mix on low until combined into a smooth dough.
- Using your hands, form the dough into 30 balls and place on the prepared cookie sheets. Press your thumb into the center to create an indent. Fill with blackberry preserves. Refrigerate the cookie sheets for 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 19 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom. Let cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- To make the glaze: In medium mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over the tops of the cookies.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 3 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the organic flour with 397 grams (2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Apricot Thumbprints recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!