This Apple Cheddar Bacon Quiche is the best kind of savory breakfast. With a buttery, flaky crust, this easy quiche is filled with spices, apples, and bacon!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
If you are new to quiche, then welcome. A quiche is a buttery and flaky pie crust filled with eggs and savory ingredients. It can be eaten for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. A quiche is for anytime, which makes it a great recipe to have in your recipe box.
With quiche, it's easy to prep ahead of time. I make the dough and par-baked the crust the evening before. Then all I have to do is pop it into the oven for an easy breakfast or lunch! I used a standard 9.5-inch tart pan. The tart pans have a removable bottom which make it really easy to remove the quiche. If you don't have one, they are a great tool to add to your kitchen. Here's a link to one I have, find it here.
Ingredients for Apple Cheddar Bacon Quiche
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour (use code MIMIORGANIC15 for 15% off your order!)
Why go organic?
You may be wondering why I push organic ingredients for everything, even savory and healthy dishes. Organic ingredients go beyond just health and wellness, and contribute so much to the taste and flavor of a recipe. So, if you think that you're making something healthy and buying fruits, veggies, or meats so maybe you don't need to spend the extra to go organic here – let me sway your thinking.
Organic ingredients are made in a more pure way, therefore using no additives, no GMOs, and minimal ingredients. This really allows the true ingredients to shine – and because of that their flavor shines through. Therefore, organic ingredients are more flavorful than their non organic counterparts. So, just because it's already a healthy recipe, or you're already buying good for you ingredients – it doesn't mean you can skip organic! Trust me here, and make the switch. Your body and your taste buds will thank you!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Apple Cheddar Bacon QuicheDifficulty: Intermediate
Breakfast, lunch, or even dinner – this Apple Cheddar Bacon Quiche can be eaten any time of day!
95 grams (3/4 cup) organic all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon organic cane sugar
6 tablespoons (85 grams) organic salted butter, cold
2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
1 small organic apple
4 slices bacon, fully cooked to your liking
4 organic large eggs
1/2 cup organic milk
1/4 teaspoon organic onion powder
1/4 teaspoon organic sage
1/4 teaspoon organic thyme
30 grams (1/3 cup) grated cheddar cheese
fine sea salt and black pepper to taste
- To make the crust: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour and cane sugar.
- Remove butter from the fridge and chop into small cubes, the smaller your cubes are the flakier your crust. I recommend at least cutting the sticks of butter into 4 and then chop into small cubes from there. Add the cold cubed butter to the flour mixture. Measure out cold water and have ready.
- Turn mixer on low and slowly start to incorporate all the ingredients. Gradually turn mixer to medium speed. Once the butter mixture looks like wet sand, immediately add in all the water. As soon as the dough comes together, stop mixer.
- Using your hands, form the dough into a disk and place in plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On a floured surface, roll out the crust to 1/4-inch thick. Place in a tart pan and form against sides. Fold over edges to create even sides that are flush with the edge of the pan.
- Place a piece of parchment paper into the quiche pan and fill with rice or pie weights. Par bake for 25 minutes, remove beans and parchment paper, and bake again for 15 minutes. The edges will start to brown.
- To make the filling: Chop the apple and bacon into small cubes. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, onion powder, sage, and thyme. Add in cheddar cheese, apple pieces and bacon pieces. Transfer to the quiche crust and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until set. Serve immediately with sea salt and pepper.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- High Altitude – Bake 350°F for 20 minutes for the first par bake, remove beans and parchment paper and bake again for 10 minutes. Once filled, bake for 35 minutes, until set.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Dill Cream Cheese Spread recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too!