Light, crispy, and bursting with coconut! This easy recipe for Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp makes a great appetizer or dinner.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Coconut Shrimp is a dish I have been getting ever since I can remember. It's usually good at restaurants and it's something I haven't ever made at home, so it's worth it when I go out. I don't really eat fried foods, but there are a few things like my Chicken Strips, Coconut Shrimp, and also Calamari that I really do love! So, I finally made my own recipe for Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp and I'm sharing it right here.
Since getting our air fryer when we moved, it is such a nice kitchen appliance to have! The one I have I linked it here, and it's more of an air fryer and toaster oven in one which I really love, I would highly recommend getting it! Plus, then you make my amazing Airy Fryer Coconut Shrimp. You only need a couple ingredients for this recipe including: shrimp, unsweetened fine shredded coconut, all purpose flour, Panko bread crumbs, coconut oil, an egg, and canola oil cooking spray.
Tips for Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
• I used a medium sized wild caught shrimp that I had to remove the shells on and devein. You could also make this recipe with the tiny shrimps that are already ready to eat as well and it would be just as delicious.
• Make sure to coat the shrimp in the bread crumbs/flour mixture completely. If you have bare spots, then they won't be golden brown.
• Canola oil cooking spray is completely necessary for this recipe. The shrimp have to be completely coated, and spraying them is the easiest and best way to get them perfectly golden brown.
• Make sure to air fry until they are golden brown before flipping. This may take a couple more minutes, depending on your air fryer, so just look at the shrimp and not the time.
Why go organic?
You may be wondering why I push organic ingredients for everything, even savory and healthy dishes. Organic ingredients go beyond just health and wellness, and contribute so much to the taste and flavor of a recipe. So, if you think that you're making something healthy and buying fruits, veggies, or meats so maybe you don't need to spend the extra to go organic here – let me sway your thinking.
Organic ingredients are made in a more pure way, therefore using no additives, no GMOs, and minimal ingredients. This really allows the true ingredients to shine – and because of that their flavor shines through. Therefore, organic ingredients are more flavorful than their non organic counterparts. So, just because it's already a healthy recipe, or you're already buying good for you ingredients – it doesn't mean you can skip organic! Trust me here, and make the switch. Your body and your taste buds will thank you!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Air Fryer Coconut ShrimpDifficulty: Intermediate
This recipe for Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp tastes just as good as the real thing, but it's a healthier option because it's made in the air fryer!
1 pound organic wild caught shrimp
57 grams (2/3 cup) organic fine shredded unsweetened coconut
57 grams (1/2 cup) organic Panko bread crumbs
32 grams (1/4 cup) organic all purpose flour
Salt and pepper
1 organic large egg
1 tablespoon organic coconut oil, melted
Organic canola oil cooking spray
Organic Sweet Chili Sauce (for dipping)
- Remove the shells and devein the shrimp. I leave the tails on, but if you wanted these to be pop-able or add to a salad or something, you can also remove the tails too.
- In a large bowl, add the coconut, bread crumbs, all purpose flour, and a couple shakes of salt and pepper. Whisk together so you have a uniform dry mix.
- In a second bowl, add the egg and coconut oil and whisk together.
- Spray your air fryer basket with canola oil cooking spray. Then, dip the shrimp into the egg mixture, then into the coconut mixture coating it completely, then place in the basket. Repeat with all the shrimp, or however many will fit in your basket. (I had to do this twice as about half fit on the basket.) Spray the shrimp with canola oil cooking spray, be sure to get them all coated as this is what gives them a golden brown color.
- Place the basket into the air fryer and airy fry at 400°F for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove basket and flip shrimp, spray the tops with canola oil cooking spray and air fry for another 5 or until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Serve immediately. I like to serve mine with sweet chili sauce.
- High Altitude — Follow the recipe as noted.
Subscribe to Mimi's Organic Eats!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Air Fryer Loaded Garlic Bread recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!